Monday, December 27, 2010

best reads of 2010

I know the year is not done yet, and I might still add a couple of books to this list, but since I was discussing this with my book loving friends yesterday at lunch, here goes my best reads list of 2010 (out of 68 read so far):

Fiction:
- Room, by Emma Donoghue
- Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel
- The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
- The Bronze Horseman, by Paulina Simmons
- Gone with the wind, by Margaret Mitchell (don't know how I never read this sooner)
- The Wind-up bird chronicle, by Haruki Murakami

Fantasy:
- The Hundred Thousad Kingdoms, by N.K. Jemisin
- A Conspiracy of Kings, by Megan Whalen Turner
- Gullstruck Island, by Frances Hardinge
- Under Heaven, by G. G. Kay
- Foxmask, by Juliet Marillier

Mystery:
- The Julian Kestrel Mysteries, by Kate Ross (especially #3 and #4)

Young Adult:
- The Exiles series, by Hilary MacKay

Comfort reads:
- Minding Frankie, by Maeve Binchy
- A Song for summer, by Eva Ibbotson

And my list of disappointments of the year (I so expected them to be much better):
- Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3), by Suzanne Collins
- Wolfskin, by Juliet Marillier
- My name is red, by Orhan Pamuk

3 comments:

Xana said...

As always, it was great seeing you, thanks for the tea and the Swiss-thingy :)

A lot of my 2010 favorites are also on your list, so that means there´s a high porbability I´ll also like the others. No books for me this Xmas, so I´ll just have to drop by FNAC and compensate :) BookDepository is great, but there´s nothinhg like live browsing!

Goads said...

Just want to stop and enjoy fantastic writing, i want to say it's great post and keep updating new writing.

boros1124 said...

I liked book of Kathryn Stockett. The DreamWorks would like to make a movie out of it. I look forward to.
"The Help" cover in Hungary:
http://www.konyv-konyvek.hu/book_images/43a/999640143a.jpg