Wednesday, October 21, 2009

riga - day 5 - victorian era fashion exhibit



When we passed by the Museum of Decorative Arts (located in the oldest surviving stone building in Riga) I noticed this poster at the entrance door, squealed with delight and decided to go in, really hoping it hadn't closed for the day yet.




Luckily we still had time for a visit and there were actually quite a few people arriving at that time and later on. What can I say ? I love vintage fashion exhibits and this one was just perfect. I probably wooo'd and haaaaa'd over every dress on display and was ecstatic that they would let us take photos.

The exhibit contains about 50 costumes and over 100 accessories (women's and men's) from the period between 1830 - 1900 and are part of the vast collection of Alexandre Vassiliev. More details of the exhibition here.

















The blue one above was one of my favorites (by the House of Worth, if I'm not mistaken).

















These floral ones were quite, quite lovely ... just look at the details.























And on our way out, I noticed this nice display of hand knitted items by the exit door. Just perfect !



More photos from the exhibit here

10 comments:

Nutsue said...

I would love seing something like this! you where so lucky!!!

likeschocolate said...

Lovely gowns. How fun!

Unknown said...

Muito obrigada pelas fotografias da exposição (lindíssima!!) e parabéns por conseguir manter o blog sempre tão interessante.

Kate said...

I'm speechless. This is quite amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful photos and account of your trip. The architecture and atmosphere of Riga really makes me want to visit. And what I would give for those leg 'o mutton sleeves!

Mlle Miracle said...

I'm a faithful follower to your travel posts. They're always so nice not only for the pictures, but also for your writing.
Thanks again!

kitty-san said...

Bem, que sorte teres descoberto esta exposição. Está muito bonita,com as fotos a complementar e tudo, porque é que não me levaste na bagagem para eu estar lá contigo? buááá...
Adoro o vestido salmão abaixo do azul que indicas como teu favorito, os corpetes e os regalos....Ahh

Concha said...

Oh meu Deus! Que vestidos fantásticos!!

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Thankyou for showing all these beautiful gowns!!! I am glad that I don't have to wear a corset though, ha ha.

Jessi said...

Such gorgeous gowns!

megg said...

Quel beau témoignage du passé! merci pour ce superbe reportage et ces magnifiques photos. Ce sont des tenues du passé, mais d'un passé pas si lointain que cà!