Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Fire



Not originally intended for Project Spectrum but the color fits the Fire theme and I did finish it before the end of the month, so I guess I'm playing.


Pattern: Buttony sweater, by Katie Marcus
Yarn: Handpaintedyarn.com Merino Bulky in Wine Red (4 skeins)
Needles: 6.5 mm
Size: custom
Notes: CO 82 stitches, divided as following: 6 rib + 10 sleeve + 26 back + 10 sleeve + 24 front + 6 rib. Button holes were made every 12 rows (more details on ravelry)




The good things:
. I love top down sweaters and this one is entirely seamless which makes it even better. And it's very easy to incorporate small changes, like waist shaping, to make it a custom fit
. The yarn was very nice to work with and I used the exact 4 skeins that I had purchased which was great (I hate leftovers)
. This pattern knits up very, very fast

The bad things:
. I didn't swatch (didn't think I could spare the yarn to) and when I hand washed it the first time - and I did it right, no wringing and laid it down flat to dry - it stretched. Immensely. I was already thinking I had to reknit it when I decided to machine wash it (at 30C in the wool program). To my relief, it came out nearly perfect (it stretched a bit anyway, but considerably less).



Finishing this sweater reminded me of these socks, which were started last year and then forgotten. The colorway is somewhat similar. So I've picked them up again and I'm s-l-o-w-l-y making some progress but I can't help thinking that it's funny I take longer to knit a sock than a whole sweater.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fica-te muito bem!

Siew said...

Wow - that's fabulous. Great job. And darn, just another thing to add to my Ravelry queue!

Cátia Oliveira said...

Ficou perfeita. Tenho pena de não saber ainda tricotar dessa maneira.
Gosto imenso do seu trabalho.

Cátia OLiveira

nicole said...

The fit turned out fantastic. And the colour is so rich. I love it!

I really want to make one now. There's nothing better than top-down, seamless construction and large gauge for (almost) instant gratification.

Agnes said...

Very very lovely! Pattern and yarn and colourway match perfectly!

Flor said...

Ficou lindo!

Prunila said...

You are knitting so fast! Amazing all the pullovers you have knit in no time. I love this one!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn and sweater. Glad the machine washing fixed things :)

Anonymous said...

Ficou lindo, como de resto tudo o que fazes. Quanto às meias, por certo deve haver uma fórmula para não demorar tanto tempo, só temos de descobrir qual, não é ?

Di said...

The sweater is really beautiful! I love the yarn and the colours!

Sigrun said...

looks great!

Sue said...

Another gorgeous sweater. I love the way the front buttons up too. So glad that the machine washing fixed up all the stretchiness too.

Funky Finds said...

i love this! so beautiful.

village mama said...

beautiful!!!!!

jen said...

i LOVE that sweater! the asymmetrical seam with the buttons is most attractive. beautiful!

MOONSTITCHES said...

This sweater looks fabulous (on you)! Good, the machine did the trick!

leslie said...

absolutely stunning!