Monday, April 26, 2010
Thank you everyone for your congratulation messages and well wishes :)
Naturally we are very excited about this, and although I can't promise I won't be posting a lot about baby projects and such, I hope I can continue to blog my usual about crafts, travels, books and so on.
Speaking of which, we are spending a few days in Berlin this next week, so if you have any good recommendations for us they're very welcome. It's my first time there, so no doubt I'll be doing the touristy thing and hopefully some yarn shopping. I know I haven't even posted about the most recent trip to Switzerland yet (or from the Pyrenées last fall), but I'll get there soon.
In the meantime I do have a lot of new sewing and knitting projects to share, which I only had the chance to photograph recently.
I've been particularly anxious to show you this one, since it's probably one of the most lovely pieces I've ever knitted. It's Vivian, of course, and I've been wanting to knit it since I first saw the pattern. I started it last December and finished it in about three months of more or less intensive knitting, but then it took me a while to find the right zipper and sew it in.
Of course, by the time I finished it I already had a belly bump, and even more so when I took these photos, but amazingly it still fits well even though I made the smallest size. The yarn and cable structure make it quite an elastic knit, I guess, which seems to accomodate for a larger size.
I haven't blocked it yet, since I quite like the way the cables stand out at the moment, so I'm hoping it stays the same after a good washing. The knitting is probably a bit more difficult than the ones I usually do (a lot of cabling and an ingenious seamlesss construction), but after the first rows I found it easy to keep up with the pattern.
I didn't make a lot of changes, but for the record here they go: shortened the length on the body and sleeves at the beginning (which I'm so glad I did or it would've looked ridiculously long on me), and added a few more waist decreases. The hood was done exactly as the pattern described, although I briefly considered doing some changes to it since I'd read it could come out too small, but happily it didn't.
Pattern: Vivian, by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Alaska (color 11), 15 skeins
Needles: 5 mm